Creamy Swiss Chard and Bell Pepper Medley
Swiss chard is a terrific vegetable, full of flavor, packed with nutrients, and a nice accompaniment for a wide variety of entrées. For this recipe we cooked up a bit of bacon, sautéed the chard stems and bell pepper in a little of that flavorful fat, then added the leaves and finished the dish with a drizzle of cream.
- 3/4 lb Swiss chard
- 2 strips bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 medium orange or red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Rinse the Swiss chard under cool running water and pat dry thoroughly. Remove the entire stem from each leaf, then chop them into 1/2-inch pieces and set aside. Stack the leaves together and slice them crosswise into 1-inch ribbons. Set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until lightly crisp, then drain off the fat, leaving about 1 tablespoon.
- Add the onion to the pan and sauté until soft and translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and Swiss chard stems and continue to sauté until the stems are tender and the onion is beginning to caramelize, about 3 minutes longer. Add the bell pepper and continue cooking for 1 additional minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the Swiss chard leaves and cook, stirring frequently, until the leaves are soft and wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed, then drizzle with the cream and combine well. Serve immediately.