Made with sweet potato purée, these easy-to-make, flaky biscuits have a buttery, slightly-sweet flavor that makes them perfect to serve with breakfast, or as an accompaniment to a Southern-style main dish like our Spiral-Sliced Ham with Cider-Bourbon Glaze.Print
Sweet Potato Biscuits
Flaky, flavorful and mildly sweet, these easy sweet potato biscuits are great for breakfast sandwiches, or as an accompaniment to main dishes like baked ham.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 12 to 14 biscuits
- Category: Baking
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup puréed sweet potatoes
- 4 to 5 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the puréed sweet potatoes and stir to combine – don’t overmix. Add just enough milk for the mixture to easily pull away from the sides of the bowl and form a moist, soft dough.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and turn it a few times in the flour to prevent it from sticking. Pat the dough into a rectangle approximately 1/2-inch thick and cut the biscuits using a floured, 2-inch round cutter.
- Arrange the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet and bake until light golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.