This salad is quick to whip up and is a nice cool accompaniment to all kinds of stir-fry dishes. Just because it contains traditional Thai ingredients doesn’t mean it can’t pair nicely with just about any Asian cuisine. You could also drizzle this dressing over fresh baby spinach leaves or mixed spring greens.
Sweet-Hot Thai-Style Cucumber Salad
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons Thai sweet-chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sambal
- 4 cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Table salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped unsalted peanuts
- Whisk together rice vinegar, lime juice, fish sauce, Thai sweet-chili sauce and sambal in a medium mixing bowl. Add the sliced cucumbers and scallions and toss to coat with the dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside for about 10 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Drain any excess liquid that may have accumulated, then add the chopped cilantro, reserving a bit for garnish. Toss the salad lightly and transfer to a serving dish. Top with chopped peanuts and remaining cilantro. Serve immediately.