Sun-Dried Tomato and Spinach Wheels
Frozen puff pastry makes these appetizers a snap to prepare ~ just roll out the dough, top with a combo of sun-dried tomatoes, chopped spinach, and grated fontina cheese and bake until golden brown.
- 1 package frozen puff pastry (2 sheets), defrosted
- 1 package (10-ounce) frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 lb fontina cheese, grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Thoroughly squeeze all of the excess water out of the spinach using a fine mesh strainer or double thickness of cheesecloth. Place in a large bowl. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and fontina. Season to taste with salt, pepper and a pinch of garlic powder. Combine well and set aside.
- Working with one sheet at a time, unfold the pastry onto a lightly-floured flat surface and roll out gently to smooth the creases. Spread half of the filling mixture to within 1/2 inch of the edges of the dough. Roll up as you would a jellyroll and pinch gently to seal the ends. Repeat the process with the other sheet of dough and remaining filling.
- Wrap the rolls in plastic wrap and place them in the freezer for 30 minutes to firm up for easier slicing.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Remove the rolls from the freezer and slice them into 1/2-inch thick slices. Arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden brown. Serve immediately.