This flavorful one-dish dinner uses spiralized (or julienned) zucchini and yellow squash in place of conventional pasta.
Combined with sautéed shrimp, cherry tomatoes, fresh dill and feta cheese, the dish is light, yet very satisfying and makes a great choice when you’re trying to cut back on carbs.Print
Summer Squash Noodles with Shrimp and Dill
A light, flavorful, one-dish meal made with zucchini noodles, sautéed shrimp, cherry tomatoes, fresh dill and feta cheese.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 28 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- 2 lbs summer squash (zucchini, yellow squash or a combination of the two)
- 3/4 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (or more to taste)
- 3 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- Trim the ends from the squash and prepare the “noodles” using a spiralizer, mandoline or julienne peeler (see notes). Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, 1/2 to 1 minute.
- Add the shrimp, season with salt and pepper and sauté until they turn pink and opaque, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- Put the pan back on the heat and add a bit more oil along with the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and sauté until the tomatoes are slightly softened, 1-1/2 to 2 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the shrimp.
Note: If you’ve prepared your squash with a mandoline or julienne peeler, be sure to read the recipe notes before continuing with the next step.
- Heat a bit more olive oil over medium-high heat. Add about 1/4 quarter of the summer squash noodles and toss in the hot olive oil just long enough to soften them, 30 to 45 seconds. Transfer to the bowl with shrimp and tomatoes, then repeat the process with the remaining noodles.
- Gently combine the noodles, shrimp and tomatoes, then drizzle with lemon juice and add the feta and fresh dill. Taste for seasoning, give the mixture a final toss and divide between 4 serving plates. Serve with a slice of toasted baguette if desired.
The zucchini and yellow squash in this dish were prepared using a spiralizer. Spiralized veggie noodles tend to be slightly thicker than those made with a mandoline or julienne peeler, so they hold up well to the brief cooking method we’ve included in our recipe instructions.
If you’re preparing your squash with a mandoline or julienne peeler, you may want to skip the cooking of the noodles and simply toss them with a little warmed olive oil before combining them with the shrimp, tomatoes and other ingredients.
Recipe Keywords: spiralized zucchini, zoodles, low-carb, gluten-free