Streusel-Topped Pumpkin Muffins
This recipe yields moist, delicately-spiced muffins with a tender crumb, light sweetness and buttery streusel topping. They're easy to whip up and make a nice treat for an occasional weekend breakfast.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (or use our spice mix below)
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 can (15-ounce) pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Streusel topping (optional)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or more to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Prepare muffin tins by coating each cup with nonstick spray (recipe makes 18 regular-sized muffins).
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice together in a large bowl until well combined and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs lightly, then add the brown sugar. Beat until well combined and sugar is no longer grainy. Add the pumpkin, buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Continue beating until smooth, then add the dry ingredients one cup at a time until thoroughly mixed.
- To make the streusel topping, combine all ingredients in a small bowl until crumbly.
- Place about 1/4 cup of batter in each muffin cup. Top each with a sprinkling of the streusel topping.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes then gently remove them from the tin and cool for 10 more minutes before serving.
- To store, cool completely before placing in airtight container. Refrigerate or freeze after 12 hours.
To make your own pumpkin pie spice combine the following:
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves.