This recipe comes from Camilla Saulsbury’s “Enlightened Chocolate,” a fantastic cookbook filled with unique and delightful ways to use cocoa in sweet and savory dishes. Though the original recipe calls for raspberry preserves, we thought strawberry would be a good choice, too. Either way, these brownies are moist and delicious! The addition of cream cheese lends the brownies a hint of creaminess and allows you to marble the tops for a picture-perfect result.Print
Strawberry-Cream Cheese Brownies
These brownies combine strawberry preserves and cream cheese for a delicious, moist chocolatey treat.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 16 brownies
- 4 oz reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1–1/4 cups sugar, divided use
- 1–1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided use
- 3 large egg whites, divided use
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup seedless strawberry (or raspberry) preserves
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray the bottom only of an 8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1 egg white with an electric mixer set at medium speed until blended and smooth; set filling aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another medium bowl, whisk the cocoa powder, melted butter, water, egg, remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla, remaining 2 egg whites and remaining 1 cup sugar until well blended. Add to the flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- Spread two-thirds of batter in bottom of prepared pan. Pour cream cheese filling over batter, spreading evenly. Carefully drop the remaining batter and preserves by spoonfuls over filling; swirl together using the tip of a knife to marble.
- Bake 38-40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out almost clean (be careful not to overbake; brownies will continue to set as they cool). Transfer pan to wire rack. Cool completely.
If you don’t keep whole wheat pastry flour in the pantry, don’t be afraid to substitute all-purpose flour instead. We tested the brownies using only all-purpose flour, and they turned out perfectly.
Adapted from “Enlightened Chocolate” by Camilla Saulsbury © Cumberland House Publishing 2007