A refreshing twist on classic lemonade this recipe combines fresh-squeezed lemon juice, ripe strawberries and a basil-infused simple syrup to sweeten the mix.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 to 8 large basil leaves
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, roughly chopped
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 to 4 cups cold water
- At least 4 hours before serving, bring the water and sugar to a boil in a non-reactive saucepan. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the syrup turns completely clear.
- Bruise the basil leaves by slapping them between your palms and add them to a glass jar. Pour the hot syrup over the leaves, refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours, then strain out the leaves.
- Muddle the strawberries in the bottom of a pitcher, add the lemon juice, basil-infused simple syrup and 3 cups of water. Stir, taste and add more water if desired. Chill thoroughly before serving.