This stir-fried chicken dish has a nice amount of kick from the combination of chili garlic sauce and jalapeño. The heat is balanced by the touch of sweetness from the honey and the cooling flavor of fresh mint. We chose to serve it over cellophane noodles, but steamed rice or another variety of Asian-style noodle would be just as delicious.Print
Stir-Fried Chicken With Jalapeno And Mint
Spicy jalapeno and chili-garlic sauce, sweet honey and cooling mint combine to make a flavor packed chicken stir-fry.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce or sambal (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth or water
- 1-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons lightly toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Trim any excess fat from the chicken thighs, cut them into bite-sized chunks and place them in a bowl. Whisk the soy sauce and cornstarch together and add to the chicken, stirring to coat. Set aside for about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the chili garlic sauce, honey and chicken broth. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat, add the chicken and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the red pepper, continue cooking for another minute, then add the jalapeño and continue to stir-fry until the chicken is cooked through, about 2 more minutes. Add the chili garlic-honey mixture and scallions, stir to combine and remove from the heat. Add the mint leaves, reserving a few for garnish, and toss to combine. Serve over steamed rice or noodles. Garnish with the reserved mint and toasted sesame seeds if desired.
To retain the fresh taste of the mint, be sure to add it just prior to serving.
If using sambal, you might want to add a half of a small clove of finely chopped garlic to the stir fry along with the jalapeño.