Hot bacon dressing over fresh spinach is a classic salad combination. The pungent flavors make it a great accompaniment for a variety of simply prepared entrees like grilled steak, pan-seared pork chops, barbecued chicken, or broiled fish.Print
Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
Spinach salad with hot bacon dressing is a classic that pairs well with simple entrees like grilled, broiled and pan-seared meats.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 8 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- 4 strips thick cut bacon
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1–1/2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 to 5 scallions, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fry the bacon until crisp, transfer to a paper-towel lined plate and reserve 3 tablespoons of the fat. Crumble or cut the bacon into small pieces and set aside.
- Place the mushrooms in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the vegetable oil to the bacon drippings and heat over medium heat. Add the balsamic vinegar, Dijon-style mustard and sugar and whisk until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is well combined. Add the scallions and cook for 1 minute to soften. Pour the entire mixture over the mushrooms, stir to coat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the spinach in a large salad bowl, add the mushroom-dressing mixture and toss. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.