Spinach, Mushroom, and Goat Cheese Pizza
Fresh spinach, sautéed mushrooms and crumbled goat cheese top our favorite, white-wheat pizza crust to make a fabulous, meatless pizza dinner.
- 1 lb pizza dough (see below)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, tightly packed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 475°F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic, continue cooking for 1 minute, then add the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to sauté until any moisture given off by the mushrooms has evaporated and they are nicely browned, 3 to 4 minutes longer. Remove from the heat, add the spinach, toss to combine and set aside.
- Prepare the pizza crust by rolling or stretching the dough to a 13-inch circle and placing it on a lightly oiled pizza pan. Pinch the dough to create a raised rim if desired.
- Pre-bake the crust for 8 minutes, until light golden brown. Remove from the oven and brush the top surface with a small amount of olive oil.
- Spread the mushroom-spinach mixture evenly over the pizza crust and season with a little freshly ground black pepper. Top with the goat cheese and return to the oven for 8 minutes longer, or until the crust is baked through and the goat cheese is bubbly and lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
Makes 4 servings