Roasted Beet and Spinach Salad w/Warm Shallot Vinaigrette
This simple composed salad is made with baby spinach, roasted beets and a warm vinaigrette flavored with shallots, honey and apple cider vinegar.
Made with tender baby spinach, roasted beets and a delicious warm vinaigrette flavored with shallots, honey, and apple cider vinegar, this beautiful composed salad makes a terrific first course for a special occasion dinner or holiday celebration.
- 8 ounces baby spinach
- 3 to 4 medium golden (or red) beets (about 1 lb)
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon honey (or agave nectar)
- 2-1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Rinse the beets and trim off the root ends and leafy tops (reserve the tops for another use if desired).
- Place the whole beets on a large sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil that's been coated with nonstick spray. Seal the packet and roast the beets until they are easily pierced with a knife, 1 to 1-1/4 hours (depending on their size).
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the shallot and cook until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Whisk in the mustard, honey and vinegar until blended.
- While still whisking, add the remaining oil in a slow drizzle until the dressing has emulsified (thickened). Season to taste with salt and pepper, then remove from the heat.
- Arrange the spinach on 4 individual serving plates, add the beet slices and spoon dressing over the top. Add a little freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately.
For a variation on this salad, check out our recipe for Roasted Beet, Walnut and Baby Spinach Salad. It features diced, roasted beets, chopped walnuts and a creamy citrus vinaigrette made with walnut oil.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 182Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 151mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.