Spicy Pork Tostadas
These easy pork tostadas are made with cubes of boneless pork that marinate while you prepare the other ingredients. After a quick pan-searing, the pork is layered atop crisp corn tortillas along with refried beans, lettuce, fresh salsa and crumbled cheese to make a flavorful one-dish dinner. Treat yourself to an icy cold margarita to go with them!
Spicy Pork Tostadas
- 3/4 lb boneless pork loin chops, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of allspice
- Pinch of cayenne
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 corn tortillas, 6-inch
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup refried beans
- Leaf lettuce, roughly chopped
- 1 cup queso fresco, crumbled (see notes)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- First marinate the pork. Combine the pork, oil, lime juice, onion and garlic in a bowl. Mix the cumin, cinnamon, salt, allspice, cayenne and a few grinds of black pepper in a small dish. Add to the pork mixture and marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- While the pork marinates, crisp the tortillas. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the tortillas on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake until crisp, 8 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Next, make the salsa. In another bowl, combine the diced tomato, scallions, jalapeño and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- To cook the pork, heat a large pan over medium-high heat, add the pork and cook just until done, about 2 minutes. Remove from the pan with a slotted spatula and set aside. Add the refried beans to the liquid that remains in the pan from the pork, combine well and heat through.
- To assemble the tostadas, spread about 1/4 of the refried beans on each tortilla and top with a serving of pork. Top with lettuce, tomato salsa, crumbled queso and a dollop of sour cream.