A juicy, pan-fried chicken breast along with lettuce, red onion and a spicy spread made from mayo, sriracha, honey and fresh cilantro turns up the heat on a simple chicken sandwich, making it a memorable weeknight meal you’ll want to make again and again.Print
Spicy Chicken Sandwich with Sriracha-Cilantro Mayo
Juicy, pan-fried chicken and a spicy spread made with mayonnaise, sriracha, honey and fresh cilantro combine to transform a simple chicken sandwich into an easy weeknight favorite.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Sandwiches
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken cutlets (about 1/2-inch thick)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of cayenne
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Green leaf lettuce
- Thinly-sliced red onion
- 4 soft rolls, sliced
For the Sriracha-Cilantro Mayo:
- 2/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 to 3 teaspoons sriracha (or more to taste)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Prepare the Sriracha-Cilantro Mayo by combining the mayonnaise, honey, 2 teaspoons of the sriracha and cilantro in a small bowl. Taste and add more sriracha if desired. Set aside.
- Whisk the egg and milk together in a pie plate or other shallow dish. Combine the breadcrumbs, salt, garlic powder, cayenne and a few grinds of black pepper and spread on a dinner plate or sheet of wax paper.
- Dip each piece of chicken first in the egg, then in the crumb mixture, pressing lightly to be sure the crumbs adhere well.
- Add about 1/8-inch of vegetable oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook until the crumb coating is golden brown and the interior is no longer pink, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the chicken to a paper towel-lined plate. Divide the mayo mixture between the four rolls and add a layer of lettuce and red onion to each. Top with chicken and serve immediately.