These delicious spice cookies have the most wonderful aroma and bake up thin, with a slightly chewy texture and buttery flavor that balances the cinnamon, ginger and cloves to perfection.Print
Spiced Molasses Cookies
Flavored with cinnamon, ginger, allspice and cloves, these cookies bake up thin, slightly chewy and have a buttery flavor that balances the fragrant spices perfectly.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen
- Category: Baking
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until well blended.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, add the egg and beat until light and fluffy. Add the molasses, salt, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cardamom and cloves. Beat just until blended.
- Combine the flour and baking soda in a separate bowl. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, mixing until well combined. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Using your hands, pinch off 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons of dough at a time and roll into balls about 1 inch in diameter. Place the balls about 2 inches apart on the parchment-lined cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the cookies are set and barely crisp around the edges. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes, then carefully transfer to wire racks with a thin spatula.