These delicious spice cookies have the most wonderful aroma and bake up thin, with a slightly chewy texture and buttery flavor that balances the cinnamon, ginger and cloves to perfection.Print
- 3/4 cup (1–1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1–3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until well blended.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, add the egg and beat until light and fluffy. Add the molasses, salt, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cardamom and cloves. Beat just until blended.
- Combine the flour and baking soda in a separate bowl. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, mixing until well combined. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Using your hands, pinch off 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons of dough at a time and roll into balls about 1 inch in diameter. Place the balls about 2 inches apart on the parchment-lined cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the cookies are set and barely crisp around the edges. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes, then carefully transfer to wire racks with a thin spatula.
- Category: Baking