Homemade hot cocoa is a delicious dessert alternative that will satisfy a sweet tooth on a cold winter night, and you probably have all the necessary ingredients on hand in the pantry. We’ve added a little bit of spice to this recipe for extra flavor and included a few serving suggestions too.Print
Spiced Hot Cocoa
Homemade cocoa mix is a great thing to have on hand or give as a gift. Our recipe has a little bit of spice for extra flavor.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving
- Category: Drinks
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of ground allspice
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla powder (or vanilla extract)
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- Whisk all the dry ingredients together with the water. Once the cocoa is thoroughly blended, heat to desired drinking temperature either in the microwave or on top of the stove.
Note: You can always use 3/4 cup of milk in place of the water and dry milk if you plan to drink the cocoa right away.
- Serve hot cocoa with a candy cane swizzle stick
- Float some marshmallows or whipped cream and grate some dark chocolate over top
- Reduce the sugar to 1-1/2 teaspoons and add a shot of your favorite liqueur
- Add a pinch of cayenne pepper for a little surprise heat
Holiday Gift Idea: Spiced Hot Cocoa Mix (6 servings)
Hot cocoa mix is an easy and thoughtful homemade gift that can be packaged in a single serving, along with a mug, or made in bulk and placed in a decorative jar.
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla powder (optional)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Sift the dry milk, cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla powder, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg together to make a fine powder.
- To make 1 serving, combine 1/2 cup of the mix with 3/4 cup of hot water. Once the cocoa is thoroughly blended, heat to desired drinking temperature either in the microwave or on top of the stove.