Spiced Cranberry Pomegranate Sauce
This recipe is a bit of a twist on traditional fresh cranberry sauce that uses pomegranate juice in place of water and a fragrant combination of vanilla extract, allspice, cinnamon and orange zest to add extra flavor.
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup sugar (or more if desired)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 large strips orange zest (1/2-inch wide x 2-inches long)
- Combine the pomegranate juice and sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the cranberries, vanilla, allspice, cinnamon stick and orange peel. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 12 minutes or until the cranberries have "popped" and the mixture has thickened slightly (it will thicken even more as it cools).
- Remove from the heat, cover and allow to cool to room temperature. Remove the cinnamon stick and strips of orange peel. Refrigerate until ready to serve.