This easy, moist quick bread is nice for snacks or a quick dessert served with vanilla ice cream. Flavored with ripe pear, chocolate chips, walnuts, cinnamon, ginger and cloves it has a unique flavor and a dense, rich texture. We made 3 mini loaves to share with friends, but the recipe works for a full-sized loaf as well.Print
Spiced Chocolate-Pear Loaves
Fragrant spices, ripe pear and walnuts combine with chocolate chips to flavor this easy dessert quick bread.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 3 mini loaves or 1 regular loaf
- Category: Baking
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1–3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (see notes)
- 1 medium Bosc pear, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 2/3 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F and generously grease 3 mini (5-3/4 x 3-inch) loaf pans (see notes).
- Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth. Add the eggs, rum and vanilla, and beat until light and creamy.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and cloves. Add to the butter mixture and combine until smooth.
- Stir in the pear, chocolate chips and walnuts. Divide the batter between the 3 loaf pans (or 1 regular loaf pan – see notes) and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack.
You can use up to 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves if you like the flavor as much as we do, but stick to the 1/4 teaspoon if you’d prefer a more subtle flavor.
To make a single loaf in a 9 x 5 x 3-inch pan, increase the baking time to 45 to 50 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.