Lemon and black pepper are perfect complements for roast chicken, but when you don't have a lot of time, this recipe captures those basic flavor affinities. Serve with quick cooking sides like pearl couscous and sauteed spinach for a complete, easy meal.Print
Speedy Lemon-Pepper Chicken
This sweet and spicy lemon-pepper chicken takes less than 10 minutes make and is delicious served over pearl couscous or steamed rice.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1-1/4 lbs chicken tenderloins
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup frozen lemonade concentrate
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pearl (or Israeli) couscous
- Trim any tendons from the chicken tenderloins and season both sides lightly with kosher salt.
- Heat the butter in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned, about 1-1/2 minutes per side. Add the lemonade concentrate, chicken broth, lemon zest and about half of the pepper.
- Continue cooking, turning the chicken several times to coat with the sauce, until the sauce has reduced slightly and thickened to a syrup consistency, about 3 minutes. Taste the sauce and add more pepper if desired.
- Serve over pearl couscous, spooning the sauce on top.
How to make pearl couscous:
Melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1-1/3 cups of pearl couscous and cook, stirring frequently, until coated with butter and very lightly toasted. Stir in 1-3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth and a pinch of salt. Bring the mixture to a boil. Simmer, uncovered for 6 to 7 minutes, then remove from the heat, cover and let stand until all the broth is absorbed. Makes 4 servings