Spanish Spaghetti with Shrimp and Chorizo
Inspired by the flavors of Spain, this is a simple, quick-to-fix pasta dish made with chorizo, shrimp, sherry, garlic, onion and tomatoes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dishes
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp (16 to 20 per pound)
- 2 to 3 links fully-cooked chorizo sausage (see notes below)
- 10 ounces thin spaghetti
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil for the pasta (see flavor tip below).
- Peel and devein the shrimp, leaving the tails on. Set aside.
- Quarter the links of chorizo lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and add the onion. Sauté until soft and translucent, 2 to 3 minutes, then add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute longer.
- Add the chorizo and sherry, bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook until they begin turning opaque around the edges, 1-1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking for an additional 2 to 3 minutes or until tomatoes soften slightly and the shrimp is cooked through
- Remove from the heat, cover to keep warm and set aside.
- Cook and drain the spaghetti according to package directions.
- Combine the spaghetti with the shrimp mixture, add the parsley and toss to combine.
- Adjust the seasoning if needed and serve immediately.
You can infuse some extra flavor into your pasta for this dish by adding the shrimp shells to your pasta cooking water. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, then remove the shells with a slotted spoon and discard. Add a little extra water, raise the heat to high, bring to a boil and cook the pasta according to package directions.