Full of authentic Spanish flavors, these simple crostini are topped with imported Galician mussels in escabeche (pickling sauce) that have been marinated in an aromatic vinaigrette flavored with smoked paprika and fresh orange zest.
The key ingredients for this recipe (as well as the recipe itself) come to us from the talented folks at Try The World, a unique subscription service that ships its subscribers a gourmet box from a new country every other month (learn more below).Print
Spanish Seafood Crostini
Served on rounds of lightly toasted baguette, this authentic Spanish tapas recipe is made with Galician mussels marinated in a unique vinaigrette flavored with smoked paprika and fresh orange zest.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- Category: Appetizers
- 1 (4-ounce) tin Spanish mussels (Espinaler brand)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin Spanish olive oil (Oleum Hispania)
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf (use fresh if possible)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Zest of 1/2 orange (preferably organic)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (El Avión brand)
- Sprig of fresh oregano
- Pinch of salt
- 16 thin slices of baguette
- Baby arugula
- Drain the pickling sauce from the mussels, place them in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the bay leaf and continue cooking for another 30 seconds, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Remove the bay leaf and whisk in the vinegar, smoked paprika and orange zest. Season with a pinch of salt, add the oregano and set aside to cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
- Pour the marinade over the mussels and combine well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, preheat the oven to 400°F and arrange the baguette slices on a baking sheet.
- Without stirring the mussels, brush a small amount of the marinade on each round of baguette, then bake until lightly crisped, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, top each round with 2 mussels and 1 or 2 arugula leaves if desired.