This is an incredibly easy, Hungarian-style noodle dish flavored with lots of fresh dill and tangy sour cream. Serve with simply seasoned entrées like baked or broiled fish, roast chicken or grilled pork chops.Print
Sour Cream-Dill Noodles
A creamy noodle side dish flavored with fresh dill and sour cream – great for serving with simple entrees like broiled fish or roast chicken.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 8 ounces broad egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1–1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook and drain the egg noodles according to package directions and set aside.
- Place the butter in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until it begins to foam. Whisk in the flour and cook until the mixture develops a pale golden color, about 3 minutes. Slowly add the milk, then the chicken broth, whisking continually until the sauce is smooth and thickened, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Whisk in the vinegar, a pinch of sugar and the sour cream until smooth, then stir in the dill, reserving a little for garnish.
- Cook the sauce for another 2 minutes, stirring continually, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Combine with the noodles and transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with the reserved dill.
Dried dill can be substituted – just reduce the quantity to 1 to 2 teaspoons.