Sour Cream-Dill Noodles
This is an incredibly easy, Hungarian-style noodle dish flavored with lots of fresh dill and tangy sour cream. Serve with simply seasoned entrées like baked or broiled fish, roast chicken or grilled pork chops.
- 8 ounces broad egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook and drain the egg noodles according to package directions and set aside.
- Place the butter in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until it begins to foam. Whisk in the flour and cook until the mixture develops a pale golden color, about 3 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk, then the chicken broth, whisking continually until the sauce is smooth and thickened, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Whisk in the vinegar, a pinch of sugar and the sour cream until smooth, then stir in the dill, reserving a little for garnish.
- Cook the sauce for another 2 minutes, stirring continually, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Combine with the noodles and transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with the reserved dill.
Dried dill can be substituted - just reduce the quantity to 1 to 2 teaspoons.