Nothing beats the flavor and aroma of homemade bread, and these soft, garlicky breadsticks are no exception. They’re easy to make, have a short rise time and make a perfect accompaniment for stew, chili or a hearty soup like our Hearty Minestrone Soup.Print
Soft Garlic Breadsticks
These soft, flavorful, homemade garlic breadsticks are quick to mix, have short rise time and are a perfect choice to serve alongside soups, stews and chili.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 1 dozen
- Category: Baking
- 1 packet (2-1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110°F to 115°F)
- 2–1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2–3/4 to 3 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Garlic salt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Place the warm water in a mixing bowl, gently stir in the yeast and set aside until some foamy bubbles form, 5 to 10 minutes. Add the sugar, oil and 2-3/4 cups of the flour and mix until a soft dough forms.
- You may find it’s easiest to use your hands for mixing. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Note: If using a stand mixer, follow the instructions above using the dough hook. Knead for about 4 minutes on medium speed.
- Roll the dough into a 10 x 12-inch rectangle and cut into 12 1-inch wide strips. Give each strip a gentle twist and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Cover with a lightweight, damp towel and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake the breadsticks until golden, about 12 minutes. Remove from the oven, brush with the melted butter and sprinkle with garlic salt if desired. Return to the oven for 1 minute.