A strata is a simple egg dish, similar to a frittata or savory bread pudding. It's very easy to make and versatile in that you can vary the flavoring ingredients according to taste or what you have on hand. This recipe combines pancetta, sautéed onions, mushrooms and zucchini, cubed Italian bread, a mixture of eggs, milk and ricotta cheese and chunks of fresh mozzarella. Be sure to check our recipe notes for variations.Print
Skillet Strata with Pancetta and Mozzarella
Similar to a frittata, this quick, savory egg dish is made with pancetta, sautéed mushrooms and zucchini, ricotta and mozzarella cheese.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 lb pancetta, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 ounces mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 3 cups cubed Italian bread, lightly toasted
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Whisk the eggs, milk and ricotta together in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a nonstick, oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta and fry until crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the pan, add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 2 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, 1 minute, then add the zucchini and mushrooms.
- Continue cooking until the zucchini is tender and the mushrooms are lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the bread cubes, toss to combine and continue cooking until the bread is slightly softened, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Spread the vegetables and bread evenly in the pan and pour the egg mixture over them. Scatter the mozzarella cheese on top and place the pan in the oven. Bake until the eggs are set, 18 to 25 minutes.
- To serve, slide the strata onto a plate and cut into wedges.
Suggested Recipe Variations:
– Bacon, red onion, mushrooms, cheddar cheese
– Sun-dried tomatoes, scallions, goat cheese
– Asparagus, leeks, goat cheese
– Diced ham, onion, Swiss cheese
– Spinach, onion, Gouda cheese
– Crumbled Italian sausage, green pepper, mozzarella
– Crumbled breakfast sausage, red and green bell pepper, Muenster cheese