Cellophane noodles are easy to prepare and are a perfect choice for our version of Singapore noodles – a fast, flavorful stir fry of shrimp, cabbage and sweet bell peppers seasoned with fresh ginger, garlic, sriracha and curry powder.Print
Singapore-Style Noodles with Shrimp
A fast and easy stir fry of cellophane noodles, shrimp, cabbage, sweet bell pepper, garlic, ginger and yellow curry powder.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dishes
- Cuisine: Asian
- 6 ounces cellophane (mung bean) noodles
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey or agave nectar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon sriracha (more or less to taste)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on)
- 4 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, very finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced into very thin strips
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced into very thin strips
- 4 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
- 4 scallions, sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a simmer, remove from the heat and add the cellophane noodles. Soak until the noodles are tender, about 7 to 12 minutes. Check them frequently so they don’t get mushy. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the chicken broth, soy sauce, honey and sriracha. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add the shrimp and stir-fry until pink and opaque, 1-1/2 to 2 minutes. Using a slotted spatula, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the garlic, ginger and curry powder to the pan and stir fry until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Add the red and yellow pepper and stir fry for 1 minute. Add the cabbage and continue to stir fry for an additional 1-1/2 minutes, or until the cabbage is crisp-tender.
- Return the shrimp to the pan along with the scallions and soy sauce mixture. Start adding the cellophane noodles, a handful at a time, tossing to combine each addition with the vegetables and sauce.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper, transfer to individual plates and serve immediately.