Tacos filled with shrimp and a tasty corn and avocado salsa make a light and easy meal. The shrimp is sautéed with garlic, cumin and coriander, and the salsa, made with corn, chopped tomato, red onion, jalapeño pepper, cilantro, avocado and lime provides the perfect complement of flavors. Fresh, sweet corn is always best, but frozen will work in a pinch. You can also make your own taco shells using corn tortillas – look for the instructions in the recipe notes.
Shrimp Tacos with Corn and Avocado Salsa
- 1-1/4 lbs large shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning, optional
- 8 taco shells, or 6-inch corn tortillas – see recipe notes
- 1/2 cup queso fresco, or finely shredded Monterey Jack cheese
For the salsa:
- 2 ears sweet corn, kernels removed (about 1 cup)
- 1 large, ripe tomato, seeded and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 medium Haas avocado, peeled and cut into small cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the shrimp in a large bowl and toss with the olive oil, garlic, cumin, coriander and Old Bay Seasoning (if you don’t use the Old Bay, add a little salt and pepper). Set aside.
- Combine the corn (see note below), tomato, red onion, jalapeño, lime juice and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then add the avocado, taste and season again. Set aside.
- Note: If your corn is very fresh and tender, you can use the kernels raw. If not, place them in a shallow dish, cover and microwave for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on high. Allow to cool completely before proceeding with the recipe. You can also use frozen corn if fresh is not available. Just thaw and blot away any excess moisture with a paper towel before adding to the salsa.
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and sauté until pink and opaque, about 2 minutes.
- To serve, spoon a portion of the corn salsa into the bottom of each taco shell. Top with shrimp and a sprinkling of cheese. Serve immediately.