Mushrooms, fresh thyme, sour cream and fontina cheese lend a combination of earthy and tangy flavors to this simple shredded potato casserole. It makes a delicious side dish for roast pork, chicken, steak or even meatloaf.Print
Shredded Potato and Mushroom Casserole
This creamy potato casserole is flavored with sautéed mushrooms, lots of fresh thyme, sour cream and fontina cheese.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 lbs potatoes, peeled and coarsely shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk (or more as needed)
- 1/2 cup fontina cheese, finely shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and generously butter a pie or tart pan.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft, 2 minutes. Add the garlic, sauté 1 minute, then add the mushrooms. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until any liquid given off by the mushrooms has evaporated and the mixture is nicely browned, 6 to 7 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the shredded potatoes to the pan and combine well. Add a little additional salt and pepper and stir in the thyme. Add the sour cream, milk and shredded cheese and combine thoroughly. If you find it difficult to distribute the sour cream throughout the potatoes, add a little bit (about 2 tablespoons) more milk. Turn the mixture into the prepared pie pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the potatoes are very tender and the edges have browned.