Shredded Potato and Mushroom Casserole
Mushrooms, fresh thyme, sour cream and fontina cheese lend a combination of earthy and tangy flavors to this simple shredded potato casserole. It makes a delicious side dish for roast pork, chicken, steak or even meatloaf.
- 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 lbs potatoes, peeled and coarsely shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk (or more as needed)
- 1/2 cup fontina cheese, finely shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and generously butter a pie or tart pan.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft, 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, sauté 1 minute, then add the mushrooms.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until any liquid given off by the mushrooms has evaporated and the mixture is nicely browned, 6 to 7 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the shredded potatoes to the pan and combine well. Add a little additional salt and pepper and stir in the thyme.
- Add the sour cream, milk and shredded cheese and combine thoroughly. If you find it difficult to distribute the sour cream throughout the potatoes, add a little bit (about 2 tablespoons) more milk.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared pie pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the potatoes are very tender and the edges have browned.