The roasted garlic, pimento, smoked paprika and sherry vinegar give these flatbreads a very distinctive flavor that sets them apart from an average pizza. Serve with a simple salad of romaine lettuce and grape tomatoes, tossed with a vinaigrette and a bit of grated manchego cheese and a nice glass of Rioja.Print
Serrano, Mushroom And Romesco Flatbread
A Romesco sauce flavored with roasted garlic, pimento, smoked paprika and sherry vinegar add a Spanish flair to these flatbreads.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dishes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 store-bought flatbreads or naan (about 8-inch diameter)
- 4 ounces thin sliced serrano ham, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 4 ounces part-skim mozzarella, sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
For the Romesco sauce:
- 1 cup fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup jarred pimento, drained and chopped
- 1 head roasted garlic (see instructions below)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and sauté until soft and golden brown. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking until the mushrooms are lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the fire roasted tomatoes, pimento, roasted garlic, olive oil, sherry vinegar, salt, smoked paprika and freshly ground pepper in a blender. Purée until smooth and set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the flatbreads on it. Brush them on both sides with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Place in the oven for about 3 minutes to crisp. Remove and set aside.
- Spoon a portion of the Romesco sauce onto each flatbread. Top with some of the onion-mushroom mixture, strips of serrano ham and mozzarella and finish with a sprinkling of toasted almond slices.
- Bake for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
How to Roast Garlic:
The sweet flavor of roasted garlic is a wonderful way to flavor a wide variety of dishes.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 1 tablespoon 1x
- Category: Condiments
- Cuisine: American
- 1 whole bulb garlic
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven (or toaster oven) to 400°F.
- Peel away any loose papery skin from the outside of the garlic and, using a sharp knife, slice off enough of the top to expose each of the cloves (usually about 1/4-inch).
- Place the garlic on a piece of foil and drizzle a little olive oil over the exposed cloves.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of salt, wrap the foil around the entire head, sealing loosely.
- Roast for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the garlic is very tender and golden brown.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then separate the cloves and squeeze the softened garlic from the skins.