Crumbled Italian sausage, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh basil and melted provolone cheese combine to a make a delicious “stuffing” for balsamic-roasted portobello mushrooms. Add some garlic bread and a tossed salad and you have a complete, easy meal.
Print Recipe Pin Recipe SaveSaved!
Sausage-Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
An easy and satisfying meal of roasted portobello mushrooms topped with crumbled Italian sausage, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh basil and provolone cheese.
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 3/4 lb bulk Italian sausage, pork, chicken or turkey
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 ounces provolone cheese, diced
- 1 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Brush any dirt from the outside of the mushrooms and using a teaspoon, carefully scrape the gills from inside the cap and discard. Arrange the mushrooms in a single layer on a nonstick baking sheet.
- Whisk together 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and 2 teaspoons of the balsamic vinegar in a small bowl. Brush the mushrooms with the mixture, season with salt and pepper and roast them just until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and blot any accumulated liquid from inside the mushroom caps with a paper towel. Set aside
- While the mushrooms roast, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until softened, 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute additional. Add the sausage and continue cooking, until the sausage is browned and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes longer. Add the remaining balsamic vinegar, sun-dried tomatoes, provolone cheese and basil. Combine well and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the sausage mixture between the 4 mushrooms caps, pressing the mixture gently with a spoon to form a mound. Return the mushrooms to the oven for 5 to 7 minutes, until the cheese is melted throughout.
Have you tried this recipe?Did you add your own special touch? We'd love to hear about it! Leave a comment and a rating to share your thoughts with others.
Leave a Reply