Salmon Croquettes with Rémoulade Sauce
Made with cornmeal, scallions and parsley and served with a quick and flavorful rémoulade sauce, these crunchy salmon croquettes are a cinch to prepare. Try serving with sliced tomatoes and coleslaw for a light dinner.
- 1 lb salmon fillet, skin on
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 to 3 scallions, finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Dash of hot sauce
For the rémoulade sauce:
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Creole (or grainy) mustard
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sweet onion, very finely chopped
- 1 to 3 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1/4 to 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Season the salmon with salt and pepper and add to the pan, skin side down. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, reduce the heat to medium and turn the salmon over. Cover the pan and cook for another 2 to 4 minutes, just until the salmon is cooked through. Wipe out the pan and set aside.
- Remove the skin from the salmon and discard, then transfer it to a large mixing bowl and break it up with a fork. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Once the salmon has cooled, add the egg, mayonnaise, cornmeal, scallions, parsley, hot sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Mix gently (your hands work best) and form the mixture into eight 3/4-inch thick oval croquettes. Place them on a plate and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- While the croquettes chill, make the rémoulade sauce. Combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, Creole mustard, ketchup, garlic and onion in a small bowl. Add the horseradish and hot sauce to taste and set aside.
- Heat about 1/4 inch of vegetable oil in your nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add half of the croquettes and cook until crisp and golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and repeat the process with the remaining croquettes. Serve with rémoulade sauce.