This otherwise classic pumpkin pie gets a little kick from some dark rum in the filling and a dollop of rum-spiked whipped cream. Molasses and a generous dose of spices balance out the rum and lend a lot of flavor to this pie without the need for a lot of sugar.Print
Rum-Spiked Pumpkin Pie
This lightly sweet, rum-spiked pumpkin pie is flavored with molasses and a generous amount of fragrant spices and topped with rum whipped cream.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings
- Category: Desserts
- 1–3/4 to 2 cups pumpkin purée (one 15-ounce can)
- 1–1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons dark rum (see notes)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Single crust for a 9-inch pie (see below or use your favorite recipe)
- Prepare the pie crust and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Partially bake the crust for 7 minutes, remove from the oven and set aside. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Whisk together the pumpkin purée, evaporated milk, eggs, molasses and light brown sugar until well blended. Add the salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice and nutmeg.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, rum and vanilla extract. Whisk with a fork until the cornstarch is dissolved and quickly stir into the pumpkin mixture.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell and shield the top edges of the crust with aluminum foil. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before cutting. Serve with rum whipped cream (see below) and a sprinkling of cinnamon-sugar.
If you don't want to use rum, you can substitute 1 teaspoon of rum extract and cut the vanilla extract back to 1-1/2 teaspoons.
Makes one 9-inch pie
Easy Pie Crust
- 1–2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons cold milk
- Combine the flour, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the oil and milk until creamy and well blended. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix with a fork to form a moist dough.
- Place the dough in the bottom of the pie plate, flatten with the palm of your hand and using your fingers, gently push the crust to the edge and up the sides of the pie plate, taking care to make it as even as possible.
- Prick the bottom and sides of the crust with the tines of a fork, cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before filling and baking.
Rum Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- Chill the bowl and whisk of an electric mixer for 10 minutes in the freezer. Add the cream and whip on high speed just until it begins to thicken, then add the confectioners sugar, vanilla and rum. Continue whipping until stiff peaks form.