Italian sausage, combined with bell peppers and tomato sauce is a popular topping for pasta. We lightened up this standard combo and changed the flavors just a little by using sweet Italian turkey sausage, a medley of bell peppers, diced tomatoes in their natural juices and a touch of sour cream. The sour cream blends with the tomato juices to create a sauce that coats the pasta nicely but keeps the dish light..Print
Rotini with Turkey Sausage, Peppers and Tomatoes
Crumbled sweet Italian sausage, a medley of bell peppers combine with diced tomatoes and a bit of sour cream for an easy pasta dinner.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage, removed from the casings
- 10 ounces rotini
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium orange bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 cups diced tomatoes, undrained
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons sour cream (reduced fat is fine)
- Romano cheese for grating
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat and add the sausage. Sauté until lightly browned and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Be sure to break up any large chunks of sausage with a spatula as it cooks. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside. Drain any excess fat from the pan.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan, then add the onion and sauté until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking, 1 minute longer.
- Add the bell peppers (see notes) and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the peppers have softened slightly, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and crushed red pepper and return the sausage to the pan. Combine well and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Cook and drain the pasta according to package directions.
- Stir the sour cream into the sausage mixture and cook until heated through, 1 minute. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Add the pasta and combine thoroughly.
- Plate individual servings and top with grated Romano cheese.