This medley of roasted root vegetables includes Yukon Gold potatoes, golden beets, turnips and carrots, tossed with melted butter and touch of honey. Flavorful and simple, this side dish goes especially well with chicken and pork.Print
- 3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 medium purple-top turnips
- 3 medium golden beets
- 4 carrots
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Peel the vegetables and cut them into bite-sized (1-inch) cubes, keeping them as uniformly sized as possible. Place them in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, combine the melted butter and honey, then drizzle over the vegetables and toss to coat.
- Spread the vegetables on the prepared baking sheet and roast until lightly caramelized and tender when pierced with a knife, 35 to 45 minutes. Toss once or twice during roasting to ensure even cooking.
You can swap out the any of vegetables in our recipe to include your favorites. Sweet potatoes, parsnips and rutabagas are all viable alternatives, although you may have to adjust the cooking times to accommodate them. Note that rutabagas cook more slowly than other root vegetables and parsnips cook rather quickly.
For added flavor, try adding 1 or 2 teaspoons of freshly chopped herbs like thyme, rosemary, sage or a combination, or replace regular salt and pepper with seasoned varieties like onion and garlic salt and lemon-pepper.