A nice alternative to a hot vegetable, this flavorful side dish combines oven-roasted, fresh green beans, with sautéed shallots and red bell pepper and a tangy mustard vinaigrette. A perfect recipe for entertaining, all the elements can be made in advance and combined just before serving.Print
Roasted Green Bean, Pepper and Shallot Salad
Roasted green beans, sautéed shallots and sweet bell pepper combine with a mustard vinaigrette to make a simple, make-ahead salad that's perfect for company meals.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1–1/2 lbs fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded, cored and cut into thin strips
- 3 large shallots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line 2 large, shallow baking pans with parchment paper. Place the green beans in a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Toss to coat, then arrange the beans in a single layer on the prepared baking pans. Roast for 16 to 20 minutes, until tender but not browned. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the red bell pepper, toss to coat with the oil and cook for 1 minute. Separate the shallot slices into rings and add to the skillet. Continue cooking until the shallots are tender and sweet, 3 to 4 minutes longer. Transfer to a large bowl, add the green beans and set aside while you prepare the dressing.
- Whisk together the red wine vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. While still whisking, add the olive oil in a slow drizzle until the dressing has emulsified (thickened). Pour over the green beans and toss to coat. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve at room temperature.
This salad can be prepared in advance by roasting the green beans, cooking the shallots and red bell pepper, then refrigerating them undressed. You can also prepare the dressing ahead and store it in jar. Be sure to remove the green beans and the dressing from the refrigerator about 45 minutes before serving.