Roasted Green Bean, Pepper and Shallot Salad
This roasted green bean salad tossed with mustard vinaigrette is a simple, make-ahead dish that’s perfect for company meals.
A nice alternative to a hot vegetable, this flavorful side dish combines oven-roasted, fresh green beans, with sautéed shallots and red bell pepper and a tangy mustard vinaigrette.
This is a perfect recipe for entertaining because all the elements can be made in advance and combined just before serving.
- 1-1/2 lbs fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded, cored and cut into thin strips
- 3 large shallots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard (or more to taste)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line 2 large, shallow baking pans with parchment paper. Place the green beans in a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat, then arrange the beans in a single layer on the prepared baking pans. Roast for 16 to 20 minutes, until tender but not browned. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the red bell pepper, toss to coat with the oil and cook for 1 minute.
- Separate the shallot slices into rings and add to the skillet. Continue cooking until the shallots are tender and sweet, 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- Transfer to a large bowl, add the green beans and set aside while you prepare the dressing.
- Whisk together the red wine vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper. While still whisking, add the olive oil in a slow drizzle until the dressing has emulsified (thickened).
- Pour over the green beans and toss to coat. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve at room temperature.
This salad can be prepared in advance by roasting the green beans, cooking the shallots and red bell pepper, then refrigerating them undressed.
You can also prepare the dressing ahead and store it in a jar. Be sure to remove the green beans and the dressing from the refrigerator about 45 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 157Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 68mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 3g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.