Roasted Eggplant, Veggie and Prosciutto Sandwiches
This tasty Italian sub is made with roasted eggplant, buttered tomatoes, spinach, prosciutto, and melted provolone cheese.
Slices of garlic and balsamic-roasted eggplant topped with warm, buttered tomatoes, wilted spinach, prosciutto, and provolone cheese make a scrumptious, juicy sandwich with a soft, tender texture.
- 2 small Italian eggplants (1-1/2 to 1-3/4 lbs)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1-1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 lb prosciutto, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 lb provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- Sub rolls (4-inch)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment. Peel the eggplants, cut into 3/8-inch thick rounds and arrange on the prepared baking sheets. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, pressed garlic and balsamic vinegar. Spread about 1/4 teaspoon of the garlic mixture on each slice of eggplant and season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender, 18 to 22 minutes, rotating the position of the sheets in the oven after 10 minutes to ensure even cooking.
- While the eggplant cooks, melt the butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and cook just long enough to soften them, 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Using the same pan, increase the heat to medium-high and add the spinach. Toss with tongs until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To assemble the sandwiches, line both halves of each roll with eggplant slices. Top one side with a portion of buttered tomatoes, top the other with spinach.
- Add a slice of prosciutto and top with provolone cheese.
- Return the sandwiches to the oven just long enough to melt the cheese, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve with fries (or waffle fries) dusted with a bit of garlic salt and dried oregano.
For a meatless version, simply omit the prosciutto and add a sprinkling of parmesan cheese in its place.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 611 Total Fat: 34g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 89mg Sodium: 1572mg Carbohydrates: 46g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 12g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 32g