This sweet-and-spicy, Thai-style curry combines bite-sized pieces of tender turkey cutlet, kale, red bell pepper and fresh basil with coconut milk and a store-bought red curry paste. Spooned over steamed jasmine rice and served with our Sweet-Hot Thai-Style Cucumber Salad as a side dish, it makes a flavorful and satisfying meal.Print
Red Curry with Turkey and Kale
An easy, Thai-style curry made with tender, bite-sized pieces of turkey cutlet, fresh kale, red bell pepper, basil, scallions, coconut milk and Thai red curry paste.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Cuisine: Asian
- 1 lb turkey cutlets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce, divided
- 1 bunch kale (about 3/4 lb)
- 1-1/4 cups unsweetened coconut milk (reduced fat is okay)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste (more or less to taste)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable (or coconut) oil
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, loosely packed
- 5 to 6 scallions, sliced
- Steamed jasmine rice
- In a medium bowl, whisk the cornstarch together with 1 tablespoon of the fish sauce until dissolved. Add the turkey, toss to combine and set aside.
- Wash the kale, remove the stems and chop the leaves into into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining 2 tablespoons of fish sauce together with the coconut milk, curry paste, lime juice and sugar until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the bell pepper and continue to sauté until the pepper is crisp tender, 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the coconut milk mixture and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the turkey, simmer 1 minute, then add the kale and continue cooking until the turkey is cooked through and sauce has thickened, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Stir in the basil and scallions and continue cooking just long enough to wilt the basil and soften the scallions, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- To serve, plate individual servings of steamed jasmine rice, add a portion of the curry and spoon extra sauce over the top.