Rainbow Quinoa with Chorizo-Vegetable Medley
The more cooking we do with quinoa, the better we like it. It cooks quickly, has great texture and makes a satisfying and healthful meal. This dish is a medley of carrots, sweet bell pepper, spinach, tomatoes, smoked chorizo and quinoa. We used rainbow quinoa, which is a medley of the red, white and black varieties, but any type will work just fine.
- 1-1/2 cups quinoa (rainbow, red or white)
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 3 links smoked chorizo (fully cooked)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 ounces fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Quarter the chorizo links lengthwise, then dice into 1/2-inch pieces and set aside.
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly, using a fine-mesh strainer and place it in a saucepan along with the carrots and chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium, cover and simmer until all the water is absorbed, about 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 2 minutes. Add the garlic, sauté for 1 minute longer, then add the diced chorizo and red bell pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking for 2 minutes, until the chorizo is heated through and the pepper is crisp-tender.
- Add the spinach, a handful or two at a time and continue cooking until completely wilted. Add the tomatoes, season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the quinoa-carrot mixture, garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
Check out our article "Cooking with Quinoa" for more information and a quick, easy side dish recipe.