Quinoa and kale already make a great combination, both in flavor and in texture, but the addition of roasted eggplant and sautéed mushrooms, onions and garlic turn this easy-to-prepare blend into a truly delicious and hearty meatless meal.Print
Quinoa with Roasted Eggplant, Kale and Mushrooms
This hearty combination of quinoa, roasted eggplant, sautéed mushrooms and kale makes a delicious meatless meal that's easy and quick to prepare.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main Dishes
- 1 bunch kale (about 3/4 lb)
- 2 small eggplants (1/2 to 3/4 lb each), peeled and cubed
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1–1/4 cups quinoa
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 8 ounces cremini (or white) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 to 3 scallions, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and coat a large baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Remove the stems from the kale, tear it into bite-sized pieces, wash, dry well and set aside.
- Place the eggplant cubes in a large bowl, drizzle with a small amount olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Spread in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and roast until tender and lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the eggplant roasts, rinse the quinoa thoroughly in a fine strainer, drain and transfer it to a saucepan. Add the chicken broth, water, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the quinoa is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook just until fragrant, 1 minute more. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking, stirring often, until they are tender and nicely browned, 4 to 6 minutes longer.
- Add the kale and cook until tender and wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the scallions and eggplant, toss to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the quinoa and combine well. Taste and adjust the seasoning again if needed. Serve immediately.