This deliciously moist pumpkin spice cake is made with tangy buttermilk, flavored with cinnamon, ginger and allspice and topped with a smooth cream cheese frosting spiked with fresh orange zest and orange liqueur.Print
Pumpkin-Spice Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
A moist, flavorful pumpkin cake made with buttermilk, cinnamon, ginger and allspice topped with a rich cream cheese frosting flavored with fresh orange zest and orange liqueur.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 10-12 servings
- Category: Baking
- Cuisine: American
For the cake:
- 2-1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped and lightly toasted
For the frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons orange liqueur (or 1/2 teaspoon orange extract)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and generously grease two 8-inch round cake pans.
- Measure the sifted flour into a bowl. Add the baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and allspice. Sift together a second time.
- Place the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer on low, cream together until smoooth. Add the eggs and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk, beating until smooth after each addition. Add the pumpkin and combine thoroughly.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in the pans, then turn onto racks and cool completely.
- While the cake cools, prepare the frosting. Place the cream cheese, butter, 3 cups of the confectioners’ sugar, orange zest, cinnamon and orange liqueur in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium until smooth and creamy, adding a little additional confectioners’ sugar if necessary.
- Once the cake is cooled completely, frost the tops of both layers and sprinkle the top layer with the toasted walnuts.