The addition of pumpkin purée to this recipe transforms classic oatmeal-raisin cookies into a delicious fall treat. Studded with plump raisins, these cookies have a moist, tender texture and just the right amount of sweetness and spice.Print
- 1–1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg, plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 3/4 cup raisins (golden or regular – see notes)
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment.
- Whisk the flour, salt and baking soda together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg to the melted butter and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg and egg yolk together with the oil. Add the brown and granulated sugars and combine well. Add the melted butter mixture, whisk until smooth, then stir in the pumpkin purée.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix by hand until they are thoroughly incorporated, then stir in the oats and raisins and combine well.
- Drop the dough by rounded tablespoons onto the prepared cookie sheets about 1-1/2 inches apart. Use the back of a spatula to flatten each cookie to a diameter of about 2-1/4 inches.
- Bake 1 sheet at a time until the cookies are golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
We're partial to golden raisins and used them in this recipe, but regardless of what type of raisin you use, we recommend plumping them up a bit before adding them to the cookie dough.
To do this, simply place them in a small bowl, cover with boiling water and let them steep for 10 to 15 minutes. If you're not planning to serve these cookies to children, you may want to heat up some liquor and use that in place of the water. Rum, bourbon and brandy are all good choices, but our personal favorite is spiced rum.
- Category: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 82
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 60mg
- Fat: 3.4g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 11mg