Puerto Rican Cheese Fritters
These delicious cheese fritters couldn’t be easier to prepare, and they make great finger food to serve at a casual get-together. It’s a family recipe, sent to us by Chef Victor Rodriges of Vickery’s Bar & Grill in Midtown Atlanta. We added a quick and easy dipping sauce to the recipe, but it’s certainly not essential.
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups corn meal
- 1 cup shredded Edam or Fontina cheese
For the sauce:
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Dash of hot sauce
- Dash of fresh lime juice
- In a medium saucepan boil water and add salt. Stir in cornmeal and remove from heat. Stir in cheese. Allow to cool.
- It is better to refrigerate this for about 30 minutes so that it becomes more manageble - not hot and easier to handle.
- Scoop out about 2 teaspoons of the mixture or enough to form an oblong about 2 inches in length.
- Fry in plenty of oil at about 350 degrees until golden brown and done in the middle.
- If you're making the sauce, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and serve with hot fritters.