Pressure Cooker Spaghetti with Sausage and Mushrooms
Aside from the obvious benefit of being an easy one-pot meal, there’s another good reason to give this traditional pasta and sausage recipe a try in the pressure cooker.
Cooking the pasta under pressure along with the sausage, seasonings and the makings of a light red sauce infuses the entire dish with a depth of flavor that would normally take hours to develop.
- 1 lb Italian sausage, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 8 ounces thin spaghetti, broken in half
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups canned chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 cups low sodium chicken broth, divided
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Turn the pressure cooker on to the sauté function and add 2 tablespoons of the oil to the pot. Add the sausage, sauté until lightly browned on the outside, 3 to 4 minutes then transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pot along with the onion. Sauté until softened, 2 to 4 minutes, then add the garlic and cook just until fragrant, 1 minute longer.
- Shut off the sauté function on the pressure cooker.
- Stir in the tomatoes, oregano and 1 cup of the chicken broth, then scatter the spaghetti into the pot in a spoke pattern to prevent it from sticking together.
- Add up to 3/4 cup of additional chicken broth to bring the level of liquid nearly up to the top of the spaghetti.
Note: It isn't necessary to totally submerge the pasta in liquid.
- Scatter the mushrooms over the spaghetti and top with the sausage and any juices that have accumulated on the plate.
- Secure the lid on the cooker and set the pressure valve to the sealed position.
- Program the cooker for 4 minutes on high pressure. Once the cooking is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 4 minutes, then open the valve to release the balance of the pressure.
- Open the pot, add the tomato paste and parsley and combine well. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.