Port Glazed Steak and Portobello Sandwiches
Port wine glazed flank steak, portobello mushrooms, and blue cheese make a deliciously different steak sandwich.
A little bit of ruby port gives these steak and mushroom sandwiches a sweet-savory flavor that pairs just perfectly with the tang of blue cheese. Serve on a crusty, French-style roll alongside oven-roasted potatoes.
- 1 lb flank steak
- 8 ounces portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed
- 4 French rolls (6-inch)
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup ruby port, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cut the mushrooms in half, then into 3/8-inch thick slices. Set aside.
- Split the rolls in half, remove a little of the center from one side of each roll and layer with a portion of the blue cheese. Arrange on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Slice the flank steak into very thin strips across the grain and place in a large shallow bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, 2 tablespoons of the port and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat the steak and set aside.
- Heat another tablespoon of olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is softened, 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and continue cooking until lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then add 2 tablespoons of the port.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the liquid has evaporated, 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pan, raise the heat to high and add half of the steak. Cook for 1-1/2 minutes, transfer to a plate, cook the second batch of steak and add to the first.
- Place the rolls in the oven to toast for 2 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the remaining 1/4 cup of port, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Return the steak and the mushroom mixture to the pan and cook, turning with a spatula, until the liquid has evaporated and the steak is nicely glazed, 1-1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Layer a portion into each of the rolls and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 548Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 115mgSodium: 863mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 43g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.