Thinly sliced roast pork pairs with ripe peaches, sautéed onions and sharp white cheddar cheese in these supremely delicious grilled sandwiches. The flavors blend so beautifully, no condiments are needed.Print
Pork, Peach and White Cheddar Panini
Thinly sliced roast pork with ripe peaches, sautéed onion and sharp white cheddar make a delicious panini on sourdough.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 3/4 lb cooked roast pork, very thinly sliced (see below)
- 1 large onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium ripe peaches, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 thin slices sharp white cheddar cheese (5 to 6 ounces)
- 8 thick slices firm white bread (e.g. Italian, sourdough)
- 4 tablespoons butter (or spread), softened
- Prepare the sautéed onions first. Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat and add the onion. Sauté until lightly caramelized, 6 to 8 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Spread half of the butter on one side of 4 slices of bread and set aside. Top the other 4 slices with a slice of cheddar cheese and a portion of sautéed onions. Follow with sliced pork, then peaches. Top each sandwich with another slice of cheddar and finish with the buttered slice of bread (butter side up).
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high and brush the ridges with a bit of oil. Add 2 of the sandwiches (buttered side down), and press with a panini press. Cook until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown with nice grill marks, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Quickly butter the top slices of bread and flip the sandwiches over. Press again and cook until the second side is toasted and the cheese is nicely melted, 2 to 4 minutes longer. Keep warm while you repeat the process with the remaining 2 sandwiches.
- Note: If you don’t have a panini press, simply use the back of a large spatula and press down firmly on the sandwiches.
- Allow the sandwiches to rest for a few minutes before serving. Serve with sliced tomatoes and coleslaw on the side.
Simple Roasted Pork Tenderloin
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and coat a shallow roasting pan with nonstick spray.
- Trim any silver skin from a 3/4 to 1 lb pork tenderloin. Brush lightly on all sides with a bit of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 18 minutes, or until the pork reaches an internal temperature of 140°F. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving.