Our version of a slow-cooker, meat chili combines cubes of boneless pork, Italian sausage and 2 types of beans with a pungent, tomato-based sauce flavored with chili powder, cumin, oregano, cinnamon and a hint of chipotle. Served with corn bread on the side and a green salad, it makes a hearty, delicious dinner.Print
Pork-Lovers’ Slow-Cooker Chili
A hearty, slow-cooker chili made with cubes of boneless pork, sausage, beans, fire-roasted tomatoes and richly-flavored sauce with a hint of chipotle.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours 30 minutes
- Total Time: 8 hours 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1-1/2 lbs boneless country style ribs, cut into small cubes
- 1 lb Italian pork sausage, removed from the casings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder (optional – see notes)
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 28-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the pork cubes with salt and pepper and add them to the pan. Cook until lightly browned on all sides, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the sausage and cook until lightly browned, breaking the meat into small chunks as it cooks. Add the onion and garlic and continue cooking until the onion is soft and light golden in color, 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, espresso powder and chipotle pepper sauce. Add the green pepper, return the pork cubes to the pan and combine well.
- Add the tomatoes, kidney beans, pinto beans and chicken broth to the slow cooker and combine. Add the meat mixture, combine well, cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
If you don’t have espresso powder, substitute any very finely ground dark roast coffee, or omit it altogether.