To make this positively yummy hot sub we started with thin strips of boneless pork, pan seared them with garlic, then added sautéed spinach, a rustic relish made with artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers and green olives, and topped it off with melted provolone cheese. Served with waffle fries, it makes a quick, satisfying dinner.Print
- 3/4 lb boneless pork loin chops
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons onion, very finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 3 tablespoons green olives, chopped
- 4 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 4 6-inch hoagie rolls
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Trim any excess fat from the pork and slice the chops into thin strips across the grain. Place them in a shallow bowl and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, onion and garlic. Toss to combine and season with salt and pepper. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- While the pork marinates, place the red bell pepper in a single layer on a baking sheet. Season with a little salt and pepper and roast until tender and beginning to caramelize around the edges, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and add the artichoke hearts and olives. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a heavy skillet, add the spinach and sauté over medium-high heat, just until wilted, 2 minutes. Arrange the hoagie rolls on the baking sheet and divide the spinach between them.
- Add the pork mixture to the pan and sauté, stirring frequently, until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Add a portion to each of the rolls, top with the artichoke mixture and sliced provolone.
- Place the sandwiches in the oven and cook until the cheese is melted and the rolls lightly toasted, 2 to 3 minutes.
If you don't want to roast the red pepper yourself, you can use jarred instead. Just drain well and chop about 1/3 cup.