Stone fruits like plums, peaches and apricots are all a great match for the rustic style of this delicious plum galette.
Its tart-style pastry crust is easy to make in a food processor and can accommodate a variety of fruit fillings.
You can easily substitute peaches, nectarines, blueberries or strawberries for the plums in this recipe. Just be sure to increase the cornstarch to 2 tablespoons if your using berries as they give off more liquid.Print
Flaky pastry dough and fresh black plums combine to make a delicious, rustic dessert that’s versatile and very easy to prepare.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Baking
- Cuisine: French
- 1 lb fresh plums (4 to 5 medium)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1–1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cream or half-and-half
- 1–1/2 teaspoons coarse-grain decorating sugar (optional)
For the dough:
- 6 tablespoons well-chilled, unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water (or more if needed)
- Begin by preparing the dough. Have a glass of ice water standing by and cut the butter into 12 pieces. Place the steel blade into the work bowl of a food processor and add the flour and sugar.
- Scatter the butter over the flour. Using the pulse function, process until the mixture is crumbly, with visible pieces the size of very small peas.
- With the processor running, start adding the ice water through the feed tube in 1 tablespoon increments until the dough gathers into one or two large pieces. Run the processor for an additional 10 to 15 seconds, just long enough for the dough to gather into a ball. Be careful not to over-process.
- Remove the dough from the processor and place it on a sheet of plastic wrap. Using your hands, flatten it into a 1/2-inch thick circle. Wrap tightly and chill for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- While the dough chills, remove the pits from the plums and slice them into 1/4-inch wedges. Place them in a bowl, sprinkle with the sugar and cornstarch and drizzle with lemon juice. Toss gently and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- When the crust is ready to roll, dust both your rolling surface and the top of the dough with flour. Gently roll the dough from the center out, to a diameter of about 12 inches, dusting with a little additional flour as you go along, then transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Drain the excess liquid from the plums and arrange the slices in the center of the dough, leaving a border of about 2 inches all around. Fold the edges of the dough over the outer rim of the plums, pinching pleats in the dough as needed.
- Lightly brush the top edge of the dough with cream, then sprinkle with the decorating sugar. Bake until the crust is crisp and golden, 50 to 60 minutes. Allow to cool for 30 minutes before serving.
Recipe Keywords: French galette, pastry crust, dessert