Made with flaky pastry dough and fresh fruit, our plum galette is a simple dessert that's as easy to make as it is delicious.
Preparing this dessert couldn't be easier as our tart-style pastry crust is made in a food processor and is virtually foolproof.
The filling is made with sliced plums sprinkled with sugar and lemon juice and tossed with cornstarch.
What Is A Galette
Galette is a rather generic French term that can be used to describe various types of sweet and savory tarts, but most commonly, it refers to rustic, fruit-filled tarts like this one.
Stone fruits like plums, peaches, nectarines, and apricots are all a great match for the simple style of a galette, and you can even use blueberries or strawberries (see our recipe notes).
- 1 lb fresh plums (4 to 5 medium)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cream or half-and-half
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coarse-grain decorating sugar (optional)
For the dough:
- 6 tablespoons well-chilled, unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water (or more if needed)
- Begin by preparing the dough. Have a glass of ice water standing by and cut the butter into 12 pieces. Place the steel blade into the work bowl of a food processor and add the flour and sugar.
- Scatter the butter over the flour. Using the pulse function, process until the mixture is crumbly, with visible pieces the size of very small peas.
- With the processor running, start adding the ice water through the feed tube in 1 tablespoon increments until the dough gathers into one or two large pieces.
- Run the processor for an additional 10 to 15 seconds, just long enough for the dough to gather into a ball. Be careful not to over-process.
- Remove the dough from the processor and place it on a sheet of plastic wrap. Using your hands, flatten it into a 1/2-inch thick circle. Wrap tightly and chill for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- While the dough chills, remove the pits from the plums and slice them into 1/4-inch wedges.
- Place them in a bowl, sprinkle with the sugar and cornstarch and drizzle with lemon juice. Toss gently and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- When the crust is ready to roll, dust both your rolling surface and the top of the dough with flour.
- Gently roll the dough from the center out, to a diameter of about 12 inches, dusting with a little additional flour as you go along, then transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Drain the excess liquid from the plums and arrange the slices in the center of the dough, leaving a border of about 2 inches all around.
- Fold the edges of the dough over the outer rim of the plums, pinching pleats in the dough as needed.
- Lightly brush the top edge of the dough with cream, then sprinkle with the decorating sugar.
- Bake until the crust is crisp and golden, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Allow the galette to cool for 30 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 5mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 11gProtein: 3g