A simple pineapple-soy marinade turns cubes of not-so-tender top round steak into juicy, flavorful beef kabobs to serve over a bed of Spicy Ramen Slaw. The slaw is made with crushed ramen noodles, thinly sliced cabbage, red bell pepper, pineapple, scallions, crushed peanuts and a sweet-and-spicy dressing and makes a great accompaniment for the grilled beef.
Pineapple Beef Kabobs with Spicy Ramen Slaw
For the beef:
- 1 lb thick-cut top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha
For the Spicy Ramen Slaw:
- 2 packages, 3-ounce ramen noodles
- 4 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup unsalted peanuts, coarsely crushed
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon sriracha
- Whisk the oil, pineapple juice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic and sriracha together in a bowl. Add the beef cubes and toss to combine. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 6 hours, preferably overnight, tossing occasionally to ensure even flavoring.
- About 1 hour before serving, prepare the Spicy Ramen Slaw. Place the ramen noodles in a food storage bag (you can discard the seasoning packets or reserve them for another use). Using a rolling pin, gently crush the noodles into small pieces, then transfer to a large bowl. Add the cabbage, red bell pepper, pineapple, scallions and peanuts and toss to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, pineapple juice, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, garlic and sriracha. Pour over the ramen mixture and toss to combine. Set aside for about 45 minutes to allow the noodles to soften, tossing every 10 to 15 minutes to help distribute the flavors. During this time, feel free to add more vinegar, soy, sugar or sriracha according to taste.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat and thread the beef cubes onto 4 individual skewers.
- Oil the grill grates and grill the skewers for 3 to 4 minutes, turning once midway through cooking.
- To serve, plate a portion of the Spicy Ramen Slaw and top with a skewer of beef. Garnish with a sprinkling of crushed peanuts if desired.