This intensely flavorful pasta dish is quick and easy to prepare. Made with pancetta, garlic, onion, dry white wine and sun-dried tomatoes, it can be served either as side dish or a light main course.Print
Penne with Pancetta and Sun Dried Tomatoes
A quick-to-fix, flavorful pasta toss made with pancetta, garlic, onion, dry white wine and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 10 ounces penne
- 4 ounces thin-sliced pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (or chicken broth)
- 3 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for grating
- Place a pot of salted water on to boil for the penne.
- In a large pan, fry the pancetta over medium heat until browned, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the olive oil, onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft and beginning to develop a golden color (do not brown).
- Deglaze the pan with the wine, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom with a spatula. Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes and cook for another minute or two. Remove from the heat and keep warm over low heat.
- Cook and drain the penne according to package directions, reserving 2 tablespoons of the cooking water.
- Add the penne, cooking water and parsley to the sun-dried tomato mixture, toss to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.