Pasta with meat sauce is a rustic, hearty meal that’s not only easy and quick to make, but versatile as well. Choose any type of ground meat or cut of pasta you like and round out the meal with a salad and if you’re feeling indulgent, a few slices of garlic bread and a glass of Chianti.
Pasta with Meat Sauce
- 1 lb lean ground meat, beef, pork, turkey or chicken
- 10 ounces pasta, penne, rotini, rigatoni, spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Parmigiana-Reggiano for grating
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil for the pasta.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground meat and sauté, breaking up any clumps with a spatula, until cooked through and lightly browned. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet and reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion, carrot and celery and sauté until softened, 6 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking until fragrant, 2 minutes more. Add the oregano and tomatoes and season to taste with salt and pepper. Return the meat to the pan and simmer gently for 12 to 15 minutes.
- While the sauce simmers, cook and drain the pasta according to the package directions.
- To serve, plate a portion of pasta and top with the meat sauce and some grated cheese.